Twenty-three entries from 20 companies have been shortlisted for the 2008 IPA Effectiveness Awards. This is the most rigorous effectiveness awards scheme in the world, sponsored by Thinkbox, which rewards campaigns that have proved the commercial power of their ideas and demonstrated their marketing payback.
The 23 shortlisted entries, chosen from a longlist of 50, will be judged by a client panel and awarded at a black-tie gala ceremony to be held at The Hurlingham Club, West London, on Monday 3rd November 2008.
Entries shortlisted include well-known brands: Morrisons, Marmite and Audi, as well as high-profile clients including Transport for London, Unilever and the Metropolitan Police Service.
• Of the 20 companies there were: 17 from England, 1 from Vietnam, 1 from China, and 1 from Northern Ireland
• 13 entries were received from creative agencies, 4 from media agencies, 1 from a mobile marketing agency, 1 from a media owner and 1 from a client
• The most used form of communication was television advertising used in 22 out of the 23 entries
• The second most used form of communication was press advertising (a combination of national newspapers, regional newspapers and magazines); used in 19 out of the 23 entries
• This was followed by out-of-home which was used in 15 of the entries
• Other media include: internet (14), radio (13), PR (13), DM (9), other (9), cinema (6), sponsorship (6), sales promotion (5), word of mouth (4) and SMS-mobile advertising (3).
• The average amount of communications media used by entries was 6
• 1 entry used a total of 13 different media, 2 entries used 10, and only 1 entry used 1 medium
• There were 17 single entries and 6 joint entries
• 13 entries used econometric modelling to prove the return of marketing investment (ROMI) of their campaigns
The shortlisted cases are:
Acquisition Crime by RKCR/Y&R
and The Home Office
Audi by Bartle Bogle Hegarty
Cabwise (Transport for London) by WCRS
Cadbury's Biscuits by Bartle Bogle Hegarty
Danone Activia by RKCR/Y&R
Dave by Red Bee Media and UKTV
De Beers by JWT
Direct Payment by Miles Calcraft Briginshaw Duffy
Dove by Ogilvy Advertising
and MindShare Media UK
Johnnie Walker by Bartle Bogle Hegarty
KFC by Bartle Bogle Hegarty
Learndirect by RKCR/Y&R
Lucozade Sport by MediaCom
and M&C Saatchi
Marmite by DDB London
Morrisons by Delaney Lund Knox Warren & Partners
Motorola by Ogilvy & Mather Beijing
Public Awareness Campaign for Helmet Wearing by Ogilvy & Mather Vietnam
Radley by DDB London
Road Safety by LyleBailie International
Sainsbury's Supermarket by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO
Trident by Miles Calcraft Briginshaw Duffy
Virgin Atlantic by RKCR/Y&R
Waitrose by Miles Calcraft Briginshaw Duffy
Says Sir John Sunderland, Chairman of Judges for 2008 IPA Effectiveness Awards and Former Chairman, Cadbury plc, “The standard of entries, as always, is a testament to the high standards the industry sets for itself. Each case is a unique blend of strategy, creativity and media selection and each, in their different way, prove the value and effectiveness of advertising to solving business and social challenges.”
Says Neil Dawson, Convenor of Judges and co-Founder of Hurrell, Moseley, Dawson & Grimmer, “The shortlist represents the highest standards of proof of payback for investment in marketing communications. The cases represented here showcase a diverse and fascinating range of learning about how communications works.”
Says Tess Alps, CEO, Thinkbox, “Marketing budgets are under pressure right now, so proving and recognising the effectiveness of advertising investment and the positive return it brings to the bottom line is crucially important. These Awards matter more than ever and Thinkbox is proud to be their sponsor.”
The Awards are sponsored by Thinkbox, the television marketing body for all major UK commercial television broadcasters, and are supported by WARC, the official publishers of the effectiveness case histories, Royal Mail, Xtreme Information, DDS and Campaign.
To view the shortlisted case summaries and creative work, and for further information on the Effectiveness Awards visit www.ipaeffectivenessawards.co.uk
To view the creative work of the shortlisted entries, you can also visit the Xtreme Information website: http://www.ads.xtremeinformation.com/Resources/IPAawards/default_preawards.html
To book tickets for the 2008 IPA Effectiveness Awards Ceremony and Dinner go to www.ipaeffectivenessawards.co.uk
or call Sophie Walker on 020 7201 8224.
Last updated 16/10/2008