Summer holiday internships- to pay or not to pay plus other tips for employers
Agencies are therefore reminded of the IPA’s guidance and top tips for employers set out in the following guidance notes:
These notes cover:
- What constitutes ‘work experience’ and an ‘internship’.
- Who is and is not entitled to the National Minimum Wage (“NMW”) when it comes to internship arrangements.
- Issues for consideration when arranging an internship.
- Other law and regulation that agencies should be aware of when organising internships. For example, health and safety, equal opportunities and intellectual property rights.
- The penalties and other potential implications of failing to comply with NMW requirements.
IPA members also now have access to an Employment Template: Internship Agreement from the Employment page of our website. This is suitable for a short, unpaid internship that is a genuine learning experience. It is prepared on the basis that the individual is neither an employee nor a worker.
Last updated 04/08/2016