We’re looking for a first-class Business Development Director from an integrated marketing agency environment, to refine and implement the new business strategy to target large, multinational clients in business to business marketing channels, and to lead agency teams to convert new opportunities. Applicants must have a minimum of 6 years’ experience in an agency environment with a proven track record of new business wins. The ideal candidate will have gained experience as a B2B Account Director first, and therefore be comfortable in walking the walk with clients and prospects, as well as talking the talk.
Business Development is a major priority for the agency, currently driven and supported by the CEO. The agency has made progress in establishing a business development culture internally, with clear plans, targets and KPIs, an active pipeline (for new and existing clients), a CRM system (Hubspot) which everyone is aligned to, and a coordinated marketing plan. This senior role will be central to the main business of the agency, and there is potential for further promotion for the right candidate.
The role in brief
The Business Development Director is responsible for creating the new business strategy to develop a robust new business pipeline. They will have ultimate ownership and control over securing new client work and revenue. They will play a key role in managing the agency’s response to newly won briefs (RFPs, Invitations to Pitch/Tender), and they will lead the agency’s new business pitch process to secure new clients and transition newly won business across to the account team.
They will lead, and further develop, a business development culture throughout the agency with defined targets and KPIs.
• Co-creating the agency’s new business strategy for the fiscal year and presenting this to the senior leadership team for approval
• Lead generation, qualified meetings, new client wins and retention
• Translating agency objectives and targets into annual plans with the agency department leads; identifying particular sectors, type of work and a plan for targeting this desired client list
• Representing the agency as the first point of contact for prospective clients; understanding their needs and objectives and presenting this to the leadership team
• Managing and completing detailed prospective Requests for Information (RFIs) and Requests for Procurement (RFP)
• Supporting the refinement and roll-out of the agency new business development process. Managing the new lead capture process qualifying and prioritising opportunities
• Tracking the agency wins and losses and review performance, conversion rate and costs
• Leading, organising, marshalling and motivating the pitch team (creative, freelance, strategy and client services) and third party suppliers, to successfully convert new business opportunities
• Using an innovative approach to data analytics, to target (possibly existing) new clients with highly personalised solutions and messages, improving response and conversion rates substantially and dramatically improving ROI
• Analysing and managing the new business budgets and financial information to make informed commercial decisions
• Engaging the agency with the annual plan to ensure their commitment and supporting teams as pitches arrive throughout the year
• Leading and owning the business development plan and agreed levels of income generation.
• Developing and maintaining current knowledge of the advertising landscape and competitive activity
• Presenting the agency’s USP and positioning the agency to maximum effect
• Identifying event opportunities to target prospective clients, possibly in conjunction with the agency marketing team
• Developing thought leadership and research reports to help open doors
• Managing the work and performance of team members (where relevant)
• Managing third party lead generation resources and associated CRM/reporting systems
• Managing the process of staying in touch with prospects via regular correspondence using the agency’s CRM system (Hubspot) to maintain accurate records and to coordinate all-activity internally
• To develop and maintain mutually beneficial partnerships with third parties (including suppliers and agencies) to enable leads and referrals to be shared, and to ensure an agreed commercial basis to incentivise the process
• To assess, develop and maintain relationships with client-agency brokers and intermediaries where it may be beneficial, including regular contact and updating to ensure the agency is considered for appropriate new business opportunities
• Reporting monthly to the board and CEO on the pipeline, progress and any requirements
Below is an overview of the experience, skills and knowledge that are required to effectively carry out the duties and responsibilities of the role. These elements will form the basis of selection for the role.
• Minimum of 6-years in an agency environment with a proven track record of new busines wins
• Experience as an Account Director working in a B2B marketing environment (therefore, with the proven ability to walk the walk with clients and prospects, as well as talk the talk!)
• Experience leading a team
Knowledge, Skills and abilities
• Significantly experienced in business development and income generation management. They understand the agency’s financial model and can make appropriate commercial decisions such as whether to accept a client’s terms
• Well versed in the agency’s products and services and can present these to prospective clients
• Confident in assessing a client brief to determine a match between the client objectives and the agency’s capability to deliver on the brief
• Knowledgeable about the agency’s competitors and their market position
• Skilled at relationship management; identifying prospects, responding to prospects and supporting the team to convert prospects into clients
• Good strategic thinkers, with the ability to undertake strategic planning
• Strong influencing ability and gravitas for internal and external engagement. Skilled at establishing and building an empathetic and commercial relationship
• Highly collaborative as they are required to work across the agency
• Proven ability to nurture and develop C-Suite relationships
• Externally connected and a sound understanding of the advertising landscape
Group Pension Scheme (Scottish Widows)
Private Medical Insurance (Vitality)
Bonus Commission Structure – based on converted revenue for each new client acquired.
Agency Inc, based in Somerset House, is a new breed of lead agency, that offers senior strategic planning and creative solutions to global clients in the technology, engineering, and manufacturing sectors. We build experienced, flexible teams around our clients' needs, delivering brand repositioning, fully integrated campaigns, and content marketing strategies.