The Business Development Manager at Agency Inc directly supports the CEO with the implementation of the new business strategy to develop a robust new business pipeline. They will have primary ownership and control over securing new client work and revenue. They will play a key role in managing the agency’s response to newly won briefs (RFIs, RFPS, Invitations to Pitch/Tender). And they will develop knowledge about trends in the industry, plus a deep understanding of the agency’s products and services.
They will often initiate contacts and make connections on behalf of the agency leadership team. They will manage third parties such as lead generation agencies, as well as maintaining relationships with client-agency intermediaries and brokers. They may represent the agency at some chemistry meetings and give a view on who to assign to a pitch. They are capable of writing case studies and award papers, also updating credentials, overseen by the senior leadership team. They will lead, and further develop, a business development culture throughout the agency with defined targets and KPIs.
• Working with agency leadership on a business growth strategy to include organic and new business targets, ways to meet leads, conferences to attend and speak at etc.
• Supporting the senior team with data and insights into sectors, and helping them prioritise
• Being aware of what is going on in the industry, sharing insights from e.g., the marketing press, trends etc.
• Keeping good relations with new business intermediaries
• Contacting prospects to secure meetings for both yourself and other senior people
• Managing the responses to inbound enquiries, and to enquiries generated through targeted outbound activity managed by a lead generation partner, with the same objective of securing introductory meetings
• Developing and maintaining mutually beneficial partnerships with third parties (including suppliers and agencies) to enable leads and referrals to be shared, and to ensure an agreed commercial basis to incentivise the process
• Managing the process of staying in touch with prospects via regular correspondence using the agency’s CRM system (Hubspot) to maintain accurate records and to coordinate all-activity internally
• Responding to initial requests from prospective clients by writing requests for Information (RFIs) which help get the agency onto the pitch list. Able to source and develop content for these.
• Representing the agency at ‘chemistry’ meetings’ either with senior leadership or on their own. At these meetings they are aware that clients want agencies who listen and seek to understand before replying.
• Helping to assign the right pitch team, based on an understanding of the client need
• Preparing reports to review which investments in new business activities are working best and prepared to argue to drop what is not working. They are developing commercial astuteness
• Planning and execution of event opportunities to target prospective clients
• Supporting the agency pitch teams e.g. overseeing the prompt delivery of pitch materials, presentation decks etc.
• Collating information for case studies and award entries, able to draft these for senior team to feedback on
• Keeping the agency credentials and any sales collateral updated in agreement with the senior team
• Reporting monthly to the board and CEO on the pipeline, progress and any requirements
Below is an overview of the experience, skills and knowledge that are required to effectively carry out the duties and responsibilities of the role. These elements will form the basis of selection for the role.
• Minimum of 4-years in an agency environment with a proven track record of new busines wins
• Experience as an account handler (AM, SAM, AD), ideally working in a B2B marketing environment (therefore, with the proven ability to walk the walk with clients and prospects, as well as talk the talk!)
Knowledge, Skills and abilities
• Excellent communicators in all mediums, persuasive.
• Able to write clear and concise copy with creativity and flair.
• Curious in developing and maintaining current knowledge of the advertising landscape and competitive activity.
• Can present the agency "brand" and its products and services.
• Capable of understanding the agency’s long-term vision and communicating this to others
• Problem solvers, for example able to show a client how an agency service will help them
• Adept at win: win negotiations and long-term relationship building
• Good at asking open questions and listening to the answers
• Excellent at collaboration and motivating others to help them
• Emotionally intelligent – their know and use their strengths, they are aware and control stress triggers, they can empathise with others
• Adept at picking up new concepts and skills rapidly e.g., the latest in media or new technique for proving effectiveness; as well as the ability to proactively research and find out information.
Highly competitive salary and structured bonus scheme
Private Medical Insurance (Vitality) with member benefits (discounted gym membership, cinema tickets etc.)
Group pension scheme with Scottish Widows
Additional holidays at Christmas (+2 days gifted)
Agency Inc is an award winning strategic marketing agency, CPD Gold accredited in 2021. We work for global clients in the engineering, technology and sports sectors to launch solutions and reposition brands. We build integrated customer journey plans in the B2B sector around identified target audiences based on strategic insights and a robust platform. We promise to make the complicated simple - for audiences, for clients and for each other.