The role in brief
The copywriter is responsible for the creation and development of advertising/campaign ideas, with
particular focus on the written words (copy) within these. This copy can be anything from
headlines and body copy for print advertising, to digital, video content and social media. Their imagination and flair for writing allows them to create persuasive, engaging copy that helps to solve genuine business problems for their agency’s clients.
- Internal: Art Director, Senior Art Director, Designers, Account management team, planners, and production staff.
- Copywriters usually partner with Art Directors to form creative teams for the purpose of working on creative briefs within the agency, with the Art Director having a greater focus on the visual idea and execution of the final output.
- Understanding the context that lies behind a client’s business and communications need, and the key proposition and creative brief that is provided as the basis for their work.
- Understanding the target audience and proposed media to be used in the campaign.
- Devising and developing original advertising and communications ideas alongside an Art Director, that engage the target audience and address the client’s business problem.
- Presenting those ideas to the Senior Art Director for approval and development, and writing copy through several stages of concepts and executions.
- Generating and maintaining enthusiasm for ideas within the agency (and with clients in more client-facing Copywriter roles) as they move from concept to execution.
- Responding to client and research feedback and continuing to develop the work until final approval stage.
- Working alongside the Art Director to help select photographers, illustrators, video production companies and Directors.
- Overseeing the production of creative outputs e.g. print advertisements, video content, social media content, mailings etc.
Below is an overview of the experience, skills and knowledge that are required to effectively carry out the duties and responsibilities of the role. These elements will form the basis of selection
for the role.
Must be educated to degree level in a relevant discipline.
- Minimum of 2 years in a copywriter’s role within an integrated agency, ideally with experience in B2B.
- Experience in a multi-channel environment, developing and executing ideas across the whole spectrum.
Knowledge, Skills and abilities
- Imaginative and full of ideas.
- Able to distinguish between a central, core idea and the executional possibilities it gives rise to.
- Passionate about good writing.
- Able to write clear, accurate and persuasive copy that can engage different audiences.
- Fascinated by people, advertising and brands.
- Able to apply creative thinking to business problems.
- Communicators who can ‘sell’ ideas in an inspirational way.
- Team players, who can operate effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- The ability to work as part of a ‘creative team’, working alongside an Art Director if required.
- Tenacious and resilient throughout the frustrations of an iterative process.
- Good at evaluating and further developing creative ideas; able to give and receive feedback to support its development amongst all members of the wider team
- Determination to produce award winning work, to maintain and grow our reputation in the wider B2B environment
Group Pension Scheme (Scottish Widows)
Private Medical Insurance (Vitality)
Bonus – discretionary, based on agency-wide revenue targets
20 days paid holiday per annum
Agency Inc, based in Somerset House, is a new breed of lead agency, that offers senior strategic planning and creative solutions to global clients in the technology, engineering, and manufacturing sectors. We build experienced, flexible teams around our clients' needs, delivering brand repositioning, fully integrated campaigns, and content marketing strategies.