We are looking for an experienced CA qualified (or equivalent) Finance Director to join our executive team to be responsible for businesses within The Freethinking Group, based over 2 UK sites. Working with the Board of Directors and leadership team, the successful candidate will have a background working in a fast paced, complex environment with a hands-on approach. Experience in media planning and buying or advertising is preferred but not essential.
The successful candidate will be viewed as a long term appointment, with a real opportunity to make a difference and add significant value to the business. The FD will help drive improvements in processes and procedures whilst also making sure that high quality information is provided at all times and cash management is being expertly covered.
The ideal candidate will be a technically capable, qualified accountant with proven leadership skills. You must demonstrate strong analytical skills, which are supported by high levels of accuracy and a commercial mindset, gained from working in high turnover businesses. Must be solutions focused and results driven with the ability to deliver under strict time frames.
Within the Finance Director role you will be required to:
• Oversee and manage all accounting functions for all businesses, including international trade, and review of monthly management accounts
• Form a close working relationship with the MD and other Senior Executives within the group and give sound financial advice
• Manage both the Accounts department staff and IT support
• Provide high quality consolidated management reporting, analytics and key insights to both internal and external partners
• Coordinate and consolidate annual budgets and quarterly forecast cycles
• Manage the year end audit process including review of annual statutory accounts of the group
• Manage and liaise with key advisors including banks, FX provider, lawyers, and auditors / tax advisors
• Participate in the development of financial and business strategies for the group ensuring strong commercial outcomes
• Actively support the development and review of commercial and strategic business proposals
• Proactively work with the business in identifying and executing actions to improve margin, cash generation and to manage key risks
• Manage and minimise the group’s risk profile
• Ensure effective management of Working Capital and Cash
• Integrate with the Senior Leadership Team and engage effectively with the broader business
• Maintain awareness and commitment to employment and legislative responsibilities in relation to safety, discrimination, HR policies, quality and the environment
• Ensure that company financial systems are robust, compliant and support current activities and future growth.
• Ensure adequate IT controls are in place and data is stored securely.
• Establish key financial controls and processes to oversee accurate and timely reporting of results, control of capital expenditure, invoicing of customers, payments to suppliers and to prevent fraud.
• Review and liaise with the company’s brokers on annual insurance requirements (commercial, credit insurance and staff benefits)
• Play a key role in commercial aspects of the business, including client contracts
• Be the main contact for the company's bank accounts, bank account payment authoriser.
• Produce ad hoc reports for the Board as required
• Be responsible for legal compliance
• Manage company secretarial responsibility for the group
• A degree level qualification in accounting
• 5+ years’ experience at FD level or similar
• Leadership and management experience
• Thorough understanding of business principles and practices
• Experience in dealing with international trade
• Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
• Understanding of data privacy standards
• Excellent mathematical skills with strong attention to detail
• Organisational, planning and analytical skills, with the ability to multi-task
Optional/ advantageous requirements
• Experience with DDS / Media Ocean
• Experience with broadcast media businesses (e.g. ITV, Sky Media)
Excellent salary DOE, plus contributory pension and benefits including private healthcare and bonus scheme
The Freethinking Group
The Freethinking Group is a limited company representing a number of businesses in the advertising and marketing space. The largest of these is Republic of Media – an independent media planning and buying agency with clients including bet365, The Scottish Government, Whyte and Mackay and Appreciate Group PLC. Wholly owned by it’s directors, The Freethinking Group employs 45 people and has a turnover exceeding £80m per annum.