This IPA On... episode looks at how adverts can help break taboos and normalise the conversations surrounding perceived shameful or embarrassing topics, through the lens of The Gate’s award-winning campaigns on Anusol, bum’s the word, a cream for piles and Replens, sex never gets old, a moisturising cream for dry vaginas.
Kit and Vicky discuss bums among other matters, including:
• Dissecting their adverts on Anusol and Replens.
• How British humour is the best way to break taboo topics, as the British are leaders in toilet humour.
• How the Anusol campaign aims to educate by giving a diagnosis as well as removing the shame.
• Don’t treat the female body as a problem that needs solving.
• The importance of adverts on behavioural change, but also not to exaggerate their impact – the issue with purpose washing.
• Don’t slip into stereotypes.