Despite never having consumed or experienced her founding clients’ products, Lucky General Helen Calcraft has fearlessly led her agency to great ongoing success. But acting is still there as a fall-back option.
Helen Calcraft in her own words
"Founding Partner at Lucky Generals. Started as a trainee account exec at AMV BBDO. Did an MBA. Co-founded agency MCBD. Then co-founded Lucky Generals. I’m a entrepreneurial sucker for punishment. But the harder I work the luckier I get."
1. If your house was burning down, what one thing would you save (excluding people and pets)?
2. What is your favourite word?
3. What do you wish you’d invented?
4. If it wasn’t advertising, what career would you have chosen?
5. What have been your best and worst business decisions?
Best – Being my own boss (MCBD and Luckies). Worst - Not being my own boss (everything in between).
6. What is your most over told personal anecdote?
That I have never personally consumed or experienced our founding clients’ products. (Hostel World, Paddy Power, Pot-Noodle, Tennant’s Lager).
7. What’s been the best thing you’ve read recently (article, book, tweet etc)?
"21 lessons for the 21st Century".
8. What’s your most hated business jargon?
Think outside the box.
9. What advice would you give your younger self?
10. What song or film has influenced you the most?
Quick fire questions
Helen Calcraft is part of the IPA iList team of Judges.