The Managing Director of Ardmore has no tolerance for energy sapping people and leaves plenty of space for a laugh - although the dance troop at a pitch didn't go down that well.
Mark Irwin in his own words
"I'm the Managing Director at Ardmore so I’m responsible for the overall performance of the agency. 20 years ago I started at the bottom, worked really hard and took an active interest in every aspect of the business. Today, I still take our work really seriously but insist we keep it in perspective. I try to leave plenty of room for a laugh and none whatsoever for people who sap the energy from the room!"
1. If your house was burning down, what one thing would you save (excluding people and pets)?
My memory box. Reluctantly, my wife suggested I start one recently, a few months in and I’m going to need another…!
2. What is your favourite word?
3. What do you wish you’d invented?
The antidote to the self esteem issues our young people face today.
4. If it wasn’t advertising, what career would you have chosen?
High Performance Coaching.
5. What have been your best and worst business decisions?
My best decision was to stop caring about things beyond my control.
My worst was hiring a dance troop for a pitch – it went as badly as you might expect!
6. What is your most over told personal anecdote?
I have many ... too many. So much so that my family have suggested I create a YouTube channel entitled "fun facts with Mark" (I think they may be taking the piss). For example did you know that most of Bangladesh is no more than 10 metres above sea level? You do now!
7. What’s been the best thing you’ve read recently (article, book, tweet etc)?
I recently listened to "The Chernobyl Podcast" with Craig Mazin, the series creator, writer and executive producer of the HBO/Sky series "Chernobyl". I highly recommend you watch the box set and then listen to the podcast. Truly incredible story and an astonishingly good piece of storytelling.
8. What’s your most hated business jargon?
When people use the phrase “In terms of” but don’t actually understand that they don’t need to!
9. What advice would you give your younger self?
You’ll be grand!
10. What song or film has influenced you the most?
Quick fire questions