Overview of role
The Group Strategy Director is a new role that aims to create and implement effective integrated creative marketing and communications campaign strategies. This leadership role will also be responsible for the operational decisions to accomplish the client and project goals.
The Group Strategy Director will be a well-respected authority in their field, capable of conducting and sourcing research, drawing insights, devising comprehensive creative strategies, from the big overarching idea through to execution at every touchpoint.
They take a lead role in establishing a clear brief and understanding desired outcomes. In providing a solution to the brief, they conduct research and establish key strategic insights able to underpin the entire creative and brand communications strategy. They clearly brief relevant internal teams required to deliver campaign strategy in a cohesive way and are pivotal in evaluating ideas against consumer insights. They oversee campaign delivery to ensure adherence to the original strategy and help evaluate performance and measure effective outcomes vs original brief.
The role will also lead on driving the IPA’s Effectiveness Agenda within the agency at all levels.
They will also be a highly organised individual with the necessary resources and expertise to confidently plan, pitch and implement plans from brief to effective outcomes.
General responsibilities and targets
• Discovering insights and using them to shape a strategy
• Proven to be capable of devising, guiding and nurturing work that
meets clients' briefs
• Devising and delivering compelling integrated campaign strategies in
response to client's briefs or tenders (including presentation deck with
fully costed schematics with timelines)
• Identifying and managing internal and external resources to deliver
• Performing a client facing strategy role when required to complement
any other account directorship function
• Highly numerate and able to understand, interpret and use complex
and varied sources of data and statistics
• Analyse campaign results to evaluate success and identify areas for
• Targets: Tender and Pitch wins (account growth). Focus on New
Sectors and Territories
• KPIs: IPA (Institute for Practitioners in Advertising) Effectiveness
accreditation. Positive attributable effects from campaign evaluation
• Utilisation target is 50% of time (billable to client projects)
Specific responsibilities and duties
• Work with the Specialist and Commercial Managers in creation and
delivery of integrated campaign strategies
• Provide professional mentoring and upskilling of relevant staff
• Be a motivator to staff in their product team to encourage them to
give their best and ensure they are working effectively
• Provide the operational delegation of duties to staff for delivery of
• Following the PRIME values at all times
• Provide advice to Agency on any new and existing technologies and
trends in the advertising and marketing sector (including use of AI
• Provide market insights that will keep Orchards offering Progressive
and highlight areas where we are falling short.
• Deliver strategic consultancy, either as a stand-alone service or part
of an integrated campaign
• Proven experience as a Strategy Director or similar role in an
• Proven record of accomplishment in delivering campaigns for large
brands, National Governments and NGOs
• Experience in tender writing
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Ability to work well in a team environment and collaborate with cross-
• Understanding of market research and analysis techniques
• Knowledge of digital marketing channels and platforms
• Extensive experience in working on Bilingual (Welsh Language)
• Multi sector experience across a wide portfolio of sectors
• Familiarity with and use of AI tools and research data/information
from multiple sources e.g., reports, or interviews
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in marketing, advertising, business, or a
Our people are what makes us so special. That’s why we offer a generous benefits package to all who are part of our team. Here’s an example of the benefits that are available:
• Flexible and remote working opportunities
• 10 – 4 core hours
• 25 days annual leave
• Monthly wellbeing hours
• A generous training budget
• Private medical cover
• Cycle to work scheme
• 8% pension (that’s 4% matched from you and us)
• Social events and activities (such as end of month drinks, film club
and 5 a side football)
Orchard Media and Events
We're Orchard. An award-winning, multi-disciplinary, integrated marketing agency based in Cardiff. We champion strategic thinking, creative solutions, and commercial impact.
Our people are what make us brilliant, and their range of skills mean we offer a whole load of services. This includes Creative, Digital Innovations, Content, Communications, Events and Experiences. But wait, there's more! We are also proud to have Orchard Live, Rescape, Orchard.TV and Orchard Connects under our Orchard Group umbrella.
Here at Orchard HQ our culture is all about being PRIME. This means we all aim to be Progressive, Respectful, Imaginative, Mindful and Excellent. Our values mean that we are fortunate to have a welcoming and fun working environment with a truly great bunch of people.