What's the job?
Your main role will be to help us answer the very broad range of advertising enquiries we receive from our member agencies every day, both creative and media. In particular, you will deal with clearance and contract issues, across the board and across all platforms. You will also be required to help the director of the team by taking on general commercial work for the IPA itself, producing guidance notes and legal alerts for our members and generally helping out.
Who are we looking for?
To do the job you will need to have excellent academics, have trained and worked for a quality law firm (min. 2 years’ pqe) in general commercial plus IP, with advertising experience gained either within a law firm or in-house. You must also be competent and confident in working with contracts – reviewing/commenting/advising as well as drafting from scratch. If you don’t meet these requirements, please don’t read on.
In summary, you will:
• advise our member ad agencies – both creative and media - on their daily enquiries, covering such matters as the CAP/BCAP Codes, Consumer Protection Regulations, IP rights (copyright, trade marks and passing-off), data protection, pre-litigious disputes and contracts – particularly client/agency contracts (both creative and media);
• provide in-house legal advice to IPA departments where required, in particular, drafting and negotiating commercial contracts across a broad range of topics - from IT to freelance contributors to NDAs to standard terms and conditions for services etc - and advise on various legal issues, including data protection and intellectual property;
• write accurate, informative guidance notes and legal alerts regularly for member-agencies on issues which are likely to affect their businesses, such as on changes in legislation and regulation and pressures on the advertising industry, generally;
• write articles on advertising law and regulation and contribute to the IPA legal department’s social media presence;
• prepare presentations on legal and regulatory issues for members and for IPA staff; and
• support the other lawyers in the team, who will also support you.
Key skills you must have
• excellent academics
• at least 2 years’ pqe gained in private practice at a quality law firm;
• solid experience of advertising and general commercial work, including “soft” IP (copyright, trade marks and passing-off); and
• a decent knowledge of data protection law.
• strong organisational skills to ensure that all matters are dealt with on time; and
• forensic attention to detail.
• the ability to understand advertising and general commercial issues and to provide effective legal advice across a range of advertising and commercial matters;
• clarity of thought and the intellect and character to build credibility quickly with IPA colleagues and the IPA’s membership; and
• a strong customer-service ethic.
• the confidence and ability to deal with people at all levels of seniority (and with all types of personalities) in a wide variety of roles;
• strong communication skills with the ability to listen to and interpret people’s needs and to clearly articulate complex points;
• a willingness to consult and provide support; and
• be energetic and enthusiastic.
£60,000 p/a, plus discretionary add-ons including a ‘thirteenth month’ Christmas payment plus performance related bonus.