Who is the course for?
Senior people within the agency who are keen to improve their practical business skills and gain a better understanding of how clients operate.
What are the benefits?
- Understand value drivers and how you can benefit from them.
- Get to grips with the financial dynamics and internal decision-making processes of client companies.
- Be better at interpreting your client’s business strategy and understand how to service your client company’s needs.
- Learn how to identify, grow and measure value opportunities.
- An optional MIPA assignment based on the content of the course will merit successful individuals with 1 MIPA Star.
1. Overview and objectives
- Do you really know who your clients are?
- Understanding your mindset.
- Explore what commercial decision-making is.
2. Understanding client companies
- What drives your client companies?
- Who owns the business: Public versus private companies
- What do shareholders want?
- What is shareholder value?
3. The language of business finance
- Understanding the principles of Financial Accounts (without the numbers!)
- How to spot the key value drivers.
- How to communicate the long-term benefits of marketing and advertising.
4. Business Information
- Identifying the current critical business issues facing your client.
- How to readily access information about your client.
- Short-cuts for high-speed research.
5. Measuring shareholder value
- How to put a number on the value you create for your client.
- Tools and techniques for valuing the future.
6. Putting it all into practice
- Being entrepreneurial – spotting value-generating opportunities.
- Being proactive – selling value creation opportunities.
- Winning the pitch – what makes the difference.
The sessions will include case studies and breakout sessions. So that you can fully participate in the course, you will be required to undertake a small amount of pre-work.
Where possible we will use actual client companies for some of the case studies.
This course is running in person at the IPA on Wednesday 13 September 2023.