Also known as...
Producer, project management
The role in brief...
The role of Trainee Art Buyer is to support the Project Management Department in producing new still or moving images and source existing rights managed images and content. The successful candidate will report to the Creative Services Director and liaise with Client Service, Creative and Project Management departments. Hours of working will be 9.00am – 6pm, Mon-Fri.
Source suppliers, Creative teams, Project Managers
- Art buying lead – attend status meetings and review concepts to anticipate execution requirements.
- Source suppliers – liaise with existing agency suppliers and source third parties for purchase of content, film or static imagery. Make supplier or image recommendations and manage internal and client sign offs. Lead all conversations with external suppliers of moving or static images.
- Manage art buying timings – check supplier, creative team and client availability for production and approvals, generate timings and monitor progress
- Financial management – negotiate rates and rights, generate internal estimates and purchase orders, monitor budget utilisation to ensure profitability
- Traffic – liaise with project manager to prompt set of of pre production meetings, creative team, photographer and client briefings, manage sign offs and approvals of images.Keep the project manager informed on progress of projects in production.
- Negotiation – effectively negotiate rates, rights and timings internally and externally.
- Art buying admin – create, circulate and gain internal and external approvals of all briefs, call sheets, approval forms and associated admin.
- Job bags – upload all files to job bag, manage version control of all raw and final images.
- Maintaining agency standards – use market leading suppliers. Introduce new suppliers and provide inspiration to creative department, ensure creatives are up to date on current techniques, productions
Those who succeed are...
- Ability to write comprehensive briefs to suppliers
- Financial control, good with figures, ability to purchase, write internal estimates and manage budgets
- Time management, ability to manage timings, manage dependencies and deliver
- Strong organisation skills, ability to liaise with internal departments, external suppliers and clients
- Excellent negotiation skills, ability to negotiate terms, rights and budgets internally and externally
- Collaborative approach, strong communication skills, able to find solutions to timing and budget issues and communicate all art buying dependencies
- Balanced, level headed, quick thinking team player, with outgoing can do attitude
- Understanding of technologies, file formats, processes and techniques used to produce moving and static images
- Eye for detail and creativity with understanding of good v poor quality results
- Knowledge of market leading photographers, content and image libraries, moving image and film companies, post production houses,storage options and turn around times
- Basic understanding of typical rates for production, post production and image supply/storage
- Latest understanding of the Association of Photographers guidelines on usage rights and negotiating payment terms