This book contains full versions of the Gold-winning case studies from the 2022 IPA Effectiveness Awards - the world’s most prestigious and rigorously judged effectiveness competition - alongside summaries of case studies that received Silver and Bronze Awards. All the winning cases quantify the payback from their activity as well as describing the strategy and implementation used to generate these results. Cases feature many different industries, not-for-profits and markets including Canada, Australia, USA, Chile and the UK.
The book also includes insights and thinking from industry experts that build on lessons from the case studies and explore how marketing helps organisations build brand resilience to unexpected developments. For anyone wanting to produce effective campaigns or drive their organisation to greater success, this book provides an unrivalled source of evidence and inspiration.
New learning chapters from IPA Effectiveness Awards Judges:
- What to do when the unthinkable happens: Lessons from brands that met the COVID-19 challenge effectively by Jo Arden, Chief Strategy Officer, Ogilvy UK
- Playing the long game to win by Sarah Walker, Chief Strategy Officer, Essence, UK
- How brands can influence culture by Lesley Bielby, Co-Chief Executive Officer, Chief Strategy Officer, DiMassimo Goldstein, USA
- Have scale-ups changed the rules of marketing effectiveness? The view from two judges by Crystal Zerrenner, Chief Growth Officer, Thinkx, USA and Lin Liu, Chief Product Officer, MediaCom China
- How purpose can help businesses evolve with the times by Cat Wiles, Chief Strategy Officer, Cossette, Canada
- Effective marketing doesn't stop with the marketing team by Janet Hull OBE, Director of Marketing Strategy, IPA
Full case studies included:
- Cadbury, Mondelēz by VCCP - Cadbury - “There’s a glass & a half in everyone” How intrinsic purpose can transform a brand’s fortunes
- Aldi UK by McCann Manchester and UM Manchester - Kevin versus John - How a humble carrot usurped a national treasure to win the UK’s Christmas Ad crown
- ITV and VegPower by adam&eveDDB - Eat Them to Defeat Them by ITV and VegPower: How a big, silly idea solved a big, serious problem
- KFC, Yum! Brands by Mother and Mindshare - KFC: ‘The Right Way’ to rebuild a brand
- McDonald's by Leo Burnett London and OMD UK - How We Got Customers Lovin' It And Kept Them Lovin' It, No Matter What.
- McDonald's by Wieden + Kennedy New York - Famous Orders – How McDonald’s created a new generation of fans
- Schmackos, Mars Petcare by adam&eveDDB - Sales Go Wacko For Schmackos
- SickKids Foundation by Cossette - Delivering Transformational Growth. SickKids VS The Greatest Challenges in Child Health