Also known as...
The role in brief...
Junior Web Analytics Consultants measure, collect and analyse internet and application data to inform and enhance online marketing strategies. This involves the manipulation of large data sets created by patterns and trends of behaviour among internet users. They use this analysis to develop insights into how and why people do what they do on-line. Working closely with other members of the on-line team, they monitor and forecast marketing and sales trends and measure the effectiveness of marketing programmes and strategies.
- Internal: Planners/Strategists; User Experience; Web Developers; Creative teams and Directors; Account Management, Insight Executive
- Internal: Media agency Planners and Buyers, Insight Executives, various specialist functions such as SEO Executives
- External: Client Marketing team; Client data team; Third party data owners.
- Junior Web Analytics Consultants will usually report into a more senior member of the Web Analytics team, either a Senior Web Analytics Consultant, Head of Analytics, or Analytics Director.
- Using statistical software they collate, analyse and format data into coherent and informative reports.
- Assisting senior consultants in the preparation of presentations to report insights, findings and recommendations to clients.
- Working with senior consultants to understand the nature of websites and applications, what motivates users when visiting, and how users engage with them.
- Liaising with strategists and user experience experts to better understand site visitor behaviour and site performance.
- Identifying issues and opportunities to enhance the effectiveness of websites and applications.
- Assisting in the design and deployment of analytics to support and evaluate client marketing campaigns.
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of developments in digital technology.
- They may manage complex systems.
Those who succeed are...
- Fascinated by websites and the management of complex systems
- Strong in analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Logical and methodical problem solvers with a passion for details.
- Analytical thinkers with good mathematical and statistical knowledge.
- Interested in human behaviour and interaction with technology.
- Able to simplify and convey complex data and the insights gathered from it.
- Good verbal and written communicators.
- Team players, keen to work with others inside and outside the agency.
- Commercially minded and able to understand how analytics support clients’ marketing plans.
- Engaged with developments in technological change, maintaining up-to-date knowledge of changes and the opportunities they present.
Where they come from, and where they go...
Junior Web Analytics Consultants will typically have an academic background, often in a mathematics, statistics, science or computing subject. They can go on to more senior Analytics roles, Senior Web Analytics Consultant and then Head of Analytics. Others may transition into Planning/Strategy roles or join the Data/Analytics team at a client organisation.